Saturday, October 22, 2011

Goat Cheese Scones



This recipe is from Tasty Kitchen
and was submitted by Souffle Bombay
Savory Goat Cheese and Scallion Scones

2 cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
4 oz. goat cheese
3 sprigs scallions
3/4 cups half and half
1 whole egg

Preheat oven to 375
Combine dry ingredients, cut in cheese, add scallions, half and half and egg. 
Mix gently. Use a piece of parchment paper to work on and form as you choose. Bake on a parchment lined sheet for about 25 min. 

My 2 cents;
I have yet to use the scallions, I have done this with basil and with chives (but not at the same time)
I bet Thyme would be good.
I have found a stronger goat cheese to be better. I have used Chevre and I think it's a bit too mild. 
I have also heard it said that you should not work flour too much once it's wet because then you "develop the gluten and your dough will become tough"
K, not sure what "tough" dough would taste/feel/look like. But pretty sure I don't wanna know. 
I have served these with butter. Steph pulled out some Plum Butter, homemade Apricot Preserves and low sugar strawberry spread. The plum butter was the best.  
Now,
Go forth and scone in fellowship! (they like company)

No comments:

Post a Comment