Monday, October 18, 2010

Hominy! I'm Home!

How cool does THIS look???

It was the craziest thing. Last week I happened upon some *thing*
(because I can't remember for the life of me what I was looking at)
that mentioned hominy. The weirdest things catch my attention 
these days and I just wanted to figure out what or who a
hominy was. So, I googled it and found it is derived from corn,
pretty innocuous, and is used quite often in mexican dishes.
The next day I get one of my Facebook updates from
Vegetarian Times 
and what do you know!
Hominy Stew!
Or as they like to call it,
Spicy Fall Stew Baked in a Pumpkin.
Mine's easier to say.
Just sayin'.
It looked pretty straightforward and as a bonus,
I get to use tomatillos for the first time!
Ever!
The hardest part was probably finding an appropriate pumpkin to
use as the cooking vessel. They gave you a few to choose from.
I couldn't find *one* pumpkin large enough so figured dividing it
between two would work just fine.
And, it did.
I gotta say their picture was a bit misleading because they show a
ladle next to the cooked pumpkin. You don't actually serve it in the
pumpkin. It gets pretty soft and you pull the flesh of the pumpkin  into
the stew. Then they have you make a poblano-cucumber salsa
to serve on top and the combination is fantastic! 
I threw the tomatoes on top there just for fun.
My picture taking abilities kinda stink.
Maybe it's the red bowl.
This would look nice on a wall.
But, it did taste good.
Trust me.
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10829?section=

1 comment:

  1. So, I've nixed the van by the river idea. I'm moving in with you! All do all the grocery shopping,some cleaning and no toilets - but I'll vac! ;~)

    ReplyDelete