Sunday, October 17, 2010

BACON!


In my never ending quest to determine if there is 
ANYTHING
 you
CAN'T 
put bacon in, I submit my latest concoction.
Food Network Magazine had a version of these in their
June/July issue. I was looking over the ingredient list and when 
I got to "potato starch" I drew the line.
I'm sorry but this magazine has sent me on one too
 many wild goose chases for ingredients. 
I submit my "Japanese Seasoning" at $15 (including shipping cause
you know *that's* not just sitting on the shelf at Meijer's).
So potato starch may not be that exotic and is probably something
you just boil up at home with a couple of potatoes,
but I'm sorry, just not in the mood. 
So let's just say I used their idea as inspiration.
I started with a spice cake mix and substituted the the grease
from the bacon for the oil. 
Yeah, these will kill you.
Get over it.
I substituted about 1/4 cup maple syrup for 1/4 cup of the water.
(Actually could have used more.)
Then I crumbled up about 3/4 pound of bacon into the batter.
Baked those puppies up and then made the cream cheese 
frosting the magazine published.
Now *that* was good!
It's really just a standard cream cheese frosting but instead of vanilla 
and milk you use 1/4 cup maple syrup and 
a couple of teaspoons of cinnamon. 
Then you garnish with what's left over of the bacon.
Yum! 
I think the chocolate bacon cupcakes are still my 
favorite weird way to eat bacon, 
but I'm not tossing these out either!

BTW, did I ever tell you about the company that sells 
Kosher, vegetarian, bacon flavored mayonnaise? 
Yea, scary, huh?




4 comments: