Thursday, January 6, 2011

In Search of A Few Good Vegetables

And to that end I present for your consideration 
the parsnip.

I don't know what Blog, magazine or cooking show
I saw this on but somewhere along the line it was
 brought to my attention.
The source told me the general flavor profile: think carrot.
It also told me how to choose a good one: again think carrot.

These are the two biggest pieces of information I need when venturing 
into new vegetable territory. 
What does it kind of taste like, which will lead me in how to cook it,
and, how do I know what a good one should look like?

I roasted some carrots the other night and they were fantastic
so I decided to mix carrots and parsnips to see what I would get.
I got yum!
I tossed the slices with olive oil, some salt and pepper and
threw in some smashed cloves of garlic for good measure.
I spread them out on  a parchment lined sheet at
 450 degree oven for 20 minutes.
I don't know if the parchment is absolutely necessary but I just
don't want a stuck on mess, I have the parchment, so why not?
Next time I'm going to add a little balsamic to the party.
I believe parsnips are a keeper!

My next adventure is going to be kale.
I looked for it at my grocery store but what I found was kinda limp.
Kale shouldn't be limp.
Right?
Right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment