Sunday, January 16, 2011

Butternut Squash Cincinnati-Style Chili

You won't even miss the meat.
That's what the article says and it's right!
I found this recipe while sitting in my doctor's waiting room.
Like Mike said, you just never know where or when a great recipe
is going to cross your path.
This is from Family Circle's February issue.
You can go on their website and down load the recipe.

I actually roasted the squash yesterday but we got a last 
minute invitation to a friend's house for Bolognese. 
Squash can wait, anything Schley cooks is going to be amazing.
And it was. 
Having roasted the squash ahead of time served to make
assembling the chili tonight pretty easy.
The only thing I changed from the recipe as written
was the beans. I didn't have any pinto so I substituted a can each
of Northern and Kidney beans. 
Be warned, this makes a LOT, invite friends. 

I also made the Sweet Spiced Short Ribs
from the same magazine. 
That was amazing but I neglected to take a picture.
I do have a couple of things to note;
you cannot buys bone in short ribs
in the northern hemisphere.
You can buy a chuck roast anywhere.
I did.
I used it.
It was great.

Brown the roast off before you put it in the slow cooker.
Deglaze the pan with the tomato sauce and red wine vinegar
and pour over the meat.
When it's done cooking remove the meat and shred it.
Skim off the fat from the sauce and return the shredded meat to
the pot, mix it all with egg noodles.
Yum!

There are a few more recipes from that magazine that I 
have in mind trying.
All in all I'd say it was a rather productive visit to the doctor.
Oh, and I got a flu shot too!

No comments:

Post a Comment