Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Low Sodium BBQ

Yes, it can be done!
Honey is having some blood pressure issues.
Since my heart lives in his heart, I am
very motivated to rectify the situation.
I can't remove the stress or change heredity but I can
COMBAT SALT!

Did you know salt is in like, EVERYTHING!?
The good news is, I use very few prepared foods.
Those seem to be the biggest offenders.
Bad news, 
so many of the condiments that make cooking so easy are 
chock full o'sodium. 
But, I WILL rise to the challenge!

Well, me, with the assist of the internet. 
I came across this site:
I used their "Barbecued Spareribs 2" recipe as a start and 
changed it up by immersing country ribs in 
the cooking liquid in a slow cooker. 
After 8 hours I took the meat out and shredded it and 
then reduced some of the sauce down and added the 
molasses, vinegar and mustard. 
It was delicious. 

And I've learned something new about myself, 
I'm actually pumped for this new challenge.
Heart disease wants to put the love of my life in it's cross hairs
and I won't have it!

Oh, and I found uncured hot dogs so all is not lost :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment