Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Cherry Almond Scones

Or, Almond Cherry Scones.
You decide.
My Bible Study group was have a brunch and
I signed up for a "bread".
Not one to go for the predictable, I decided on scones.

I started out with Alton Brown's recipe and just added my own flavors.
I have found Alton is a pretty safe bet as far as recipes that work,
and he did not disappoint.

My little spin consisted of adding 1/2 t. of almond extract
and about 1/2 cup of rough chopped dried cherries.
I brushed the tops of the scones with cream and sprinkled
slivered almonds on top.

Ina taught me to mix any "chunks" with flour before adding to a
batter to help them distribute better, not clump together,
so I added the cherries to the flour.
I am also a proponent of triangular scones so
I shaped the dough into a circle and cut it into wedges.
One last tip, I made the dough and cut the scones the night before
and baked them in the morning.
Worked out great and I was able to bring warm scones to the brunch.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/scones-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment