Thursday, November 28, 2013

Big

I saved her for almost last. 
She had a whole month! 
What else could I possibly have to say?
So, I handed it over to Shanna :)


Whether you know her as 
Mary, Big, Miss Osborne, or Meme, 
her joyful spirit has no doubt crept into yours, 
surrounding it with warmth. 
From Meme, I’ve learned to 
dance with the dolly with the hole in her stocking, 
that you don’t put pennies in your ears, 
that the best soundtrack for a drive is 
whistling with an index finger tapping 
along on the steering wheel. 
From Meme, I’ve learned 
the smell of possibility from opening a fresh box of crayons, 
the importance of a Hallmark Gold Card, 
the love of all things soft, 
the words Mimsy and Hummel. 
From Meme, I’ve learned 
that you can fall asleep at any time in any place, 
that you must announce your choice for dessert 
(tiramisu at Francesca’s) 
to the hostess, busboy, and any server in sight 
lest they run out of it before your turn comes to order it, 
that sometimes your feet do not
 go the direction you tell them to.   
From Meme, I’ve learned 
to pick baby violets for the bud vase, 
to show love to others through cards and letters,
 to let your family adorn you with antlers, 
margarita sunglasses, 
Santa hats, 
and anything else they can find 
that would make them laugh and take pictures. 
From Meme, I’ve learned 
that “Amazing Grace” is on page 368 of the hymnal, 
that you can have dessert after breakfast, 
that you stick by each other no matter what.

I’ve not always made the best decisions 
(quarter-life crises are real, people), 
but Meme has never made me feel judged. 
Through the letters she has written me
 every week since 1997
she has proven to be the epitome of unconditional love. 
Don’t get me wrong: This is a woman with opinions, 
but she never lets them get in the way of 
showing God’s love to the least of these. 
I’ve been surrounded by her influence 
since before I was even born, 
and I’m beyond grateful that 
God put someone like her in my life. 
I don’t care what anyone else says, she’s my Meme.
I love her TONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment