Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Mac And (Butternut) Cheese Bake

This came from 
Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

Butternut squash seems to have become the 
"it" food.
I've gotten to the point where I will 
substitute sweet potatoes
for it sometimes just because.
But not here.
I made the recipe as written with a couple of exceptions:
I used corn pasta,
I roasted my squash, 
because, really? Who would microwave it??
And most importantly, 
INCREASED THE BACON!!
Who puts two stingy pieces of bacon in
ANYTHING!!??

It was really good and
*almost*
vegetarian ;)

I can't seem to find it on their page so here you go:

3 cups of butternut squash (roasted)
8 ounces of pasta of your choice
1 T. butter
8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
3 green onion, sliced
3 T. flour
1 C. milk
6 oz. Fontina cheese
Lots of bacon

Mash the roasted squash, cook the pasta.
Saute the mushrooms and onions in the 
butter till tender, 
sprinkle on the flour and cook one minute, 
add the milk and salt and pepper and cook till 
thick and bubbly.
Stir in the mashed squash, fold in the pasta.

Transfere half into a 2 quart baking dish
that has been coated with cooking spray. 
Sprinkle with half the cheese and a bunch of bacon
and repeat.
Bake 375 degrees for about 25 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment