Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Lentil Curry

From Martha Stewart.
I rarely try a Martha recipe anymore. 
A couple of reasons:
I get a lot of ideas from Google searches
and her website is sooo slow that I don't usually click on
something from it, 
and she's not in my family room everyday
anymore like the Food Network peeps.

I do enjoy catching her every once in a while on PBS
on Saturday afternoons, but how often does that happen?
I like watching her cook. 
I like to think about the minions running
around making it possible for
her to cook. 

I had a dream about Martha once, 
I don't remember any of the details other
than the most important one, 
she liked me!

But I digress, the curry, 
excellent!

I prepared it just as written except
for one glaring error, 
it calls for curry powder!!!

WHAT!!??
My friend Indra taught me that there is no one
curry powder. 
Every Indian cook worth their salt has their own blend
of spices used in curry dishes. 
I took that information to heart and have 
never purchased the offending
impostor since.

Here's the blend I used this time:
2 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. dry yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. cardamom

It would be best if you had all those in seed form,
toasted them and ground them, 
but unfortunately I did not. 

And besides, 
ain't nobody got time for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment