Friday, December 13, 2013

The time has come...

When I was little, my dad played the part of Mr. Babcock in the musical "Mame" in the Community Theater in Washington, Iowa.  I remember thinking he was such a star with so many people coming to see him.  I remember wondering how he could see to walk across the stage without his glasses on.  I remember at one point his line was "Damn it, Mame", or something equally scandalous to my third grade sensibilities.  And for all the aforementioned reasons, I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the song "We Need a Little Christmas Now". Ironically, though, it's not really a Christmas-time song, as you can tell from the words:

But Auntie Mame, it's one week from Thanksgiving Day now.
And
It hasn't snowed a single flurry,
But Santa, dear, we're in a hurry;

Here we are with Christmas less than two weeks away.  It is bitterly cold, and there is snow at my house. Planning and shopping and wrapping are all in full swing.  The tree is up and cookie baking with my bestie is tomorrow!

Slice up the fruitcake;
It's time we hung some tinsel on that evergreen bough.

And in the middle of the hustle and bustle, I find myself longing for a little Christmas.  I want to drive slowly through neighborhoods gawking at the flashing lights.  I want to mentally wad up the "to do" list and watch my grandson "blow out" the Christmas tree - and magically blow it back on again.  I want to listen to Christmas carols - not as background music while I accomplish other tasks, but to really listen!  I want to bounce out of bed in the morning and mark another day on the advent calendar.  I want to anticipate the coming of December 25th and gifts given in love, brightly wrapped beneath the tree reminding us of the child whose birth heralds such festivities.

For we need a little music,
Need a little laughter,
Need a little singing
Ringing through the rafter,
And we need a little snappy
"Happy ever after,"
Need a little Christmas now.

Yep, it's time.  I'm going to celebrate a little Christmas
NOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment