Tuesday, December 3, 2013

My Little Drummer Boy

It’s such a sweet little song!  Can’t you just see the newborn King snuggling down in the straw with a sleepy little infant yawn?  His mommy is watching over him.  Every new-born mom knows the feeling of awe and wonder, but Mary, doubly, so!  She knew this child of hers was something special – a gift from God like no other.  Not just a gift to her, but to the whole world!  And she came from poverty, so when a poor child approached to honor her son with the gift of song, surely she would have understood.  I’m sure she would have responded most graciously…
I have a grandson, almost three years old.  He loves to play the drums, which is another way of saying he will bang on anything in sight with anything he can get his hands on.  He is so happy with himself, and he makes me smile.  Five minutes of smiling is about all I can handle…
Back to Mary, another thing every new-born mom knows is to let a sleeping baby sleep.  As babies go, I believe that Jesus was better than most.  As a parent, I can’t believe he didn't give Mary a sleepless night ...or twenty. 

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,
On my drum?

(A BOY CHILD WITH A DRUM?  
ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!)

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum

 (How often do I praddle on in prayer, musically off-center and redundant, to the same Christ?)

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum

 (Thank you, Jesus, for listening!  Thank you so much more for hearing my heart!)

Me and my drum.

1 comment:

  1. I love that what other people see as noise, Jesus sees as praise. :-) Great thoughts, Lory.

    ReplyDelete