Sunday, December 1, 2013

Do You Hear What I Hear?

Last year Merry and I were so blessed by a deliberate contemplation of the Christ Child that we decided to do it again this year – with Christmas carols:  familiar words, sung with gusto, generally without much thought to the meaning behind the words.


Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy,
Do you hear what I hear?

I have some pretty good singers in my family, though not all of us carry that distinction.  When I was a child my grandmother commented on my mother’s voice being less than perfect.  Grandma’s comment was of the throw-away variety, but I remember it still.  I think it was the first time I had an inkling that my mother was less than perfect in any way (obviously before my teen years).  My mom would belt out songs in church like she was singing directly to the Lord Almighty.  I thought it was beautiful. 

A song, a song, high above the trees
With a voice as big as the sea

If you ask my sons, they will tell you that I resemble my mom in many ways.  Two of them are:  I am less than perfect (they have made it through the teen years as well) and I like to sing loud but I’m not particularly good at it.  It is especially embarrassing when my voice cracks, like a twelve year old boy.  It makes me blush and laugh.  It’s like God is looking down saying ‘yeah, I heard you, now let me hear someone else!’  But He smiles when He says it.  I hope every once in a while, He pokes the ribs of a nearby angel and asks with pride, “Do You Hear What I Hear?”  I have faith that rather than the notes, He hears the music my heart is singing to Him and to His Son.

Love. 
Adoration. 
Melodious (albeit off-key) Worship. 

We invite you to join us this Christmas season to hear the music our hearts are singing in the familiar carols we all share leading up to the birth of the Christ Child.

The Child, the Child, sleeping in the night. 
He will bring us goodness and light!

1 comment:

  1. Great thoughts, Lory! You can sit by me in church...I'm good at making a joyful noise, if not a melodious one. :-)

    ReplyDelete