Thursday, December 13, 2018

Red Kettle Stories

I have a red kettle story too. 
I think I've told it before.
It goes something like this:
My grandfather made a deal with my oldest brother
that had to do with him not smoking (my brother, that is).
If my brother didn't hold up his end of the bargain then 
he was to make some kind of donation to
the Salvation Army.
LOL, how's that for vague?
I wasn't part of that arrangement (obviously) but what stuck
with me was that my grandpa, whom I loved a lot,
had a heart for the Salvation Army.

One year for Christmas my family gave my mother 
the gift of us ringing that little bell on a number of occasions.
We were so good at our job that I believe 
we went through at least two bells.
We gave her one of them, in pieces, as
representation of our hard work. 

We pass things on to the generations that come after us,
sometimes without even knowing we are doing it.

I am deliberate in wiggling a dollar bill into each kettle I pass.

I'm passing it on.


No comments:

Post a Comment