Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Can You Instant Pot It?

In the spirit of
Good Mythical Morning, 
who love to ask if you can 
(insert word that is not a verb)
it.

Meatloaf.
Can you?
(Photo disclaimer, I am not a food photographer
and don't ever claim to be. Those colors are horrific!)
Nonetheless,
Why, YES! You can!
I looked around to figure out the method
people were using and
determined I could
use my family recipe for meatloaf.
It seems 2 pounds of meat was the 
consistent amount used.

Most of the recipes I found have you cook
potatoes in the pot at the same time
and then mash them.
I imagine, 
in my limited knowledge of all things Instant Pot,
part of the reasoning is, 
you have to have some liquid in the pot 
to achieve pressure cooking status.
I think.

I added 3 smashed cloves of garlic along with
one cup of chicken stock
to about 6-8 quartered potatoes.

I put a piece of foil over 
the rack and built my meatloaf on that
and then placed that right on top of the potatoes.

The recipes I found said to cook on high for 25 minutes.
Mine took more like 30 minutes.
(and do a quick release)
It was also suggested you throw it under the 
broiler for 5 minutes.
The meat is a little pale right out of the pot.

Given that you've cooked it on the foil lined rack, 
transferring it to a sheet pan is not problem
and no mess.

And!!! It slices!!!
I was afraid it would be mushy, all the meat I've
cooked so far has been fall apart tender. 
And the potatoes were amazing!

I may be being won over.....


No comments:

Post a Comment