Thursday, December 14, 2017

Jewish roots

This Menorah was a wedding gift to my grandparents from my Grandfather's Jewish secretary - just shy of 90 years ago!  I love it that my totally Protestant grandparents kept and displayed it for all those years until the end, when it came to my house.
Being of the totally Protestant persuasion myself, I assumed this Menorah was to be used during Chanukah - so for the first time ever, I bought Chanukah candles intending to light them this year.  I have only a shadow knowledge of Chanukah, so I took to Google for more information. 
My number one question:  why does my Menorah only have 7 candles, not 9?  Here is my Protestant answer to that Jewish question:  my Menorah is a symbol of Jewish faith, not the one used during Chanukah which celebrates the festival of light with its nine candles.  Now what to do with the Chanukah candles I bought before counting the arms...
Regardless, I treasure this artifact from my history, in large part because of my love for my grandparents.  But also because the One whose lent His name to this sacred time of year was/is Jewish.  Let's get real.  That Baby was not blonde and blue eyed, but olive skinned, dark haired and eyed.  The One who saved the world did not sing God Bless America or even speak English.  It's good to revive perspective every once in awhile!
Merry Christmas, everyone!  L'chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment